RICH Angel Hair Alfredo with Broccoli and Mushrooms
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (sub water or veggie broth if for oil-free)
- 1 yellow or white onion
- 12 garlic cloves, frozen cubes, or tsps of minced garlic
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cup veggie broth (or 2 tsp Better Than Bullion + 2 cups water)
- 1 tsp white miso paste
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 package angel hair pasta (approx 6 oz)
- Boil water for pasta. (If cooking a thicker pasta, consider adding the noodles sooner. Angel Hair cooks in 2-4 minutes, so it can be done last.
- In medium-large pan, saute onion and garlic over medium heat in a until translucent (onion) and golden (garlic). Add both at same time if using whole cloves of garlic, otherwise, wait to add the garlic a bit as pre-minced garlic will darken faster than onion cooks.
- While onion and garlic cook, add cashews, nutritional yeast, veg broth, miso paste, lemon juice, salt, and nutmeg to your blender (don’t blend yet).
- When onion and garlic are done (should be done after all that measuring!), add them to the blender and blend till smooth.
- Add frozen broccoli and mushrooms to the now empty pan and cook till soft. Make sure the mushrooms aren’t dirty – sometimes there are a few dirty stem pieces. You can wash if you like, I just pick out the dirty bits. 💪
- While veggies cook, add your angel hair to the boiling water (2-4 min). Stir it every so often to keep from sticking. Drain it through a colander, add it to your pan with the veggies, and immediately top with the blended sauce.
To dress this delicious dish up further, you can garnish it with lemon zest, fresh parsley, freshly ground black pepper, or vegan parmesan.